Size Fit and Feel
Do not roll your dress shoes into a ball (or a taco).
Resist the temptation to run or exercise.
Your shoes are pre-laced using the patented Double Helix Method.
With your elastic laces, find a good fit, double-knot them, and you’ll only have to re-tie them occasionally.
Use a shoe horn to easily slip into your shoes.
Condition your shoes, for water resistance, suppleness, and longevity.
We recommend Saphir Médaille D'Or Shoe Cream . Shoe creams provide both conditioning and shine. This particular formulation, made of all natural ingredients, has been the highest-end shoe cream since 1925. It has a much higher concentration of pigments and wax than other shoe creams, so you don't need to use as much as other creams.
For our Oxblood shoes, Burgundy would be the closest to the original color. You can also go with Hermes Red and Mahogany if you want it to look more red or brown, respectively.
“To ensure your shoes last you need to take care of them by ensuring the leather stays supple and resists water penetration...Leather is skin. And like your skin – it’s tough but still fragile relative to rough surfaces and needs protection and care. Unlike your skin – which is alive and receives nourishment from the body – the leather on your shoes only receives the nourishment you give it. It can easily dry out, over-absorb water, or be damaged in numerous other ways. A good leather conditioner is designed to be readily absorbed and will nourish/restore flexibility in the fibers...If leather loses its natural oils and moisture, it loses it’s flexibility and its fibrous interweave will start to crack and eventually break down. Once this happens it is lost and needs to be replaced...Spending 15 dollars every few months for a quality conditioner is a small price to ensure your dress shoes still look great 15 years from now.” - Antonio Centeno, Real Men Real Style
Polish your shoes, for an eye-catching shine, and additional protection.
Avoid hazards such as mud, puddles, snow, and salt.
If unavoidable, clean off hazards as soon as possible.
Similar to above, this is difficult to explain in brief FAQ. Check the link Leather Shoes and Bad Weather above.
When you've finished wearing your shoes for the evening, make sure to place shoe trees inside.
Rotate your shoes to avoid wearing them two days in a row.
We want to do our best to help you prevent the hassle of returning our products. Please read our sizing guide, and reach out for assistance.
- If you're referencing athletic shoes instead of dress shoes, then order a size down.
- If you have narrow feet, then order a size down.
- If you have wide feet and usually order a size up to get enough space, then order a size down.
- Like traditional dress shoes, our minimalist dress shoes have extra length for a sleek tip. It's one of the main reasons why people declare our shoes the best-looking compared to other barefoot brands. Without this extra length for a sleek tip, dress shoes look too "clowny".
- Unlike traditional dress shoes, our minimalist dress shoes have a wide toe box, so you can wiggle and splay your toes naturally. We give you the best of both worlds, dress and barefoot.
- However, this combination of extra length AND wide toe box causes our shoes to run large, particularly for people with narrower feet.
- Our shoes also use dress and casual sizing (see chart below), which runs larger than the athletic sizing that many people are used to.
- If you are uncertain about what size to get, we highly recommend sending us the data points we ask for in this article What Size? to firstname.lastname@example.org. We're more than happy to help, and this will reduce the future hassle of you having to deal with returns/refunds.
Fit and Feel
On the left is a typical dress shoe of the same size and same “Wide” width. You can see that it’s still one or two centimeters longer than ours. Most sleeker dress shoes have a fair amount of unoccupied space in the front. We took advantage of that and used it to give you a wider toe box without looking like it. If we start looking at chisel-toe and pointy-toe styles, dress shoes get even longer. But even though conventional dress shoes are longer, you still feel cramped because of the heel lift and the fact that the shoes are widest at the ball of the foot. Carets are widest at the toes, as your foot naturally is.
If the widest part of your feet (i.e. your toes) occupies the widest part of our shoes, then you are wearing the right size.
GROUNDFEEL: In total, there is 9 mm of material between your foot and the floor. Our flexible, durable, polyurethane outsole is 4.5 mm thick. Above that, is some of the upper leather, wrapped under. Above that, is a thin layer of Poron performance cushioning. Finally, we have a layer of smooth full-grain leather upon which your foot nestles.
In the end, what matters most is that you're happy with your shoes. We will gladly take them back, and feel honored that you gave us a shot.